A few years ago while consulting I was fortunate to work for a client who included the consultants with their full time employee team meetings. During one of the team offsite meetings the Director of the group put up a list of leadership strategies with which he personally identified. This same list resonated with me as well, and I keep them posted on my wall at work, and found it worth sharing.
Ernest Shackleton’s 10 Leadership Strategies:
- Never lose sight of the ultimate goal and focus on the short term objectives
- Set a personal example with visible memorable, symbols of behavior
- Instill optimism and Self-confidence but remain grounded in reality
- Take care of yourself. Maintain your stamina and let go of guilt
- Reinforce the team message consistently- ‘We are one, we live or die together’
- Minimize staff differences. Insist on courtesy and mutual respect
- Master conflicts, engage dissidents and avoid needless power struggles
- Find something to celebrate and something to laugh about
- Be willing to take the big risk
- Never give up, there’s always another move
- Found the list published at following link.
- Mock advertisement image from: http://johnhyattillustration.com/MainPage.html
- Most likely the ad never really existed…